Saturday, February 25, 2012

Podcasts & Assumptions

After reading the article and a few excerpts from the texts on Podcasts, I am still unsure of whether or not I would implement one in the classroom. I have an inherent skepticism towards how practical using a podcast as an educational tool would be, but this depends on the context of the classroom. In Kadjer's text, one of the teachers discusses how long it takes to teach these tools to students, and that time remains one of the most valuable/limited resources in the classroom (I think it is on page 78ish? I do not have my text on me to check) . Assuming the students were familiar with the technology behind podcast, I would see no issue with using podcasting. Even if some of the students had experience with the technology, then one could create groups with this in mind, guaranteeing that every group has at least one student who knows what they are doing.

Although I believe there are time issues with using podcasting as educational tools, and I would assume that other forms of technology can be implemented to produce better results. But ultimately I need to practice more with these technologies to understand how they will work in the classroom.

Cheers,
The Jesse Jennings

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. If I have to spend a lot of class time explaining a technology that pretty much rules it out for me. I will most likely only use technologies that students are already familiar with or are intuitive enough for them to learn on their own outside the classroom.

    ReplyDelete